The formula Google has chosen for its new mid-range smartphone, the Google Pixel 6a, is always the same: but there are differences with the Pixel 5a predecessor. On the other hand, with the launch of the Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro, in Mountain View, they touched deeply on the body and under the body, with the introduction of a modern design and a proprietary SoC, Tensor. The same revolution now affects the youngest in the family.
The Pixel 6a, which was officially unveiled today during Google I / O that we followed live, is exactly what we expected, more or less, as it has progressed in recent months and Not even the barrage of leaks, which always precedes the big G.
DESIGN: A MORE COMPACT 6 PIXEL
And speaking of cameras: The Pixel 6a has been equipped by Google with a 12.2 MP main sensor (Sony IMX363 DP) with OIS and a secondary 12 MP ultra wide-angle sensor (Sony IMX386). The selfie cam instead is a wide 8 MP (Sony IMX355) with 84 ° Field of View and fixed focus. But the numbers count up to a certain point: the difference, on the Pixels, has always been made by the software.
The other big news compared to Pixel 5a is under the body: even on Pixel 6a in fact Google has brought its SoC Tensor with Titan M2 security chip, the same solution that debuted on Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro. the memories, Pixel 6a comes in a single configuration that provides 6 GB of RAM.
For biometric authentication, there is a fingerprint sensor installed under the display, while the battery has a capacity of 4400 mAh and supports fast charging at 18W. The company underlines how thanks to the software optimization guaranteed by Adaptive Battery, which learns the user’s habits and decreases the drainage linked to the less used apps, Pixel 6a is able to offer excellent autonomy: the data provided is 24 hours with average use (but we know that the manufacturers are wide-sleeve in this sense), without however any indication regarding the hours of screen on.
Pixel 6a arrives with Android 12, and along with the rest of the Pixel 6 family, it will be the first to receive the update to Android 13. On the software support front over time, Google has guaranteed 5 years of security patches, plus all the goodies of the Feature Drop monthly updates program that only the Pixels benefit from.
PIXEL EXPERIENCE: THE SOFTWARE BEANS
Not just design and photographic performance: another strong point of Pixel smartphones lies in the exclusive functions that Google develops for its smartphones. Here are some of them in dowry to Pixel 6a that the company has chosen to put in the spotlight:
- Night Sight, a trademark of the Pixel dynasty, the feature that has long made the big G smartphones a reference in the mobile photography sector, thanks to Artificial Intelligence that is able to reconstruct the shots captured in precarious light conditions and illuminate them in a detailed and credible way, as if by the spell.
- Face Unblur makes moving faces in photos more defined
- Real Tone, an algorithm dedicated to providing the most faithful possible representation of people’s different tones.
- Magic Eraser, or how to make the garbage can disappear that you have inadvertently included in the background of the photo where you came best. Thanks to Google’s magic eraser it is in fact possible to modify one’s shots and “magically” dematerialize those elements that we prefer to exclude. To replace them, completing the image in a coherent way, will think of the Artificial Intelligence of Pixel 6a. And that’s not all, because the developers of Mountain View have further improved this function: in addition to eliminating elements from the photos, it will be possible to select them to change their hue, in order to bring out what you prefer.
- Live Translate, which made its debut on the Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro, is something of a mix of Lens, Translate, Assistant, and Live Caption. In practice, this feature allows you to automatically generate subtitles in real-time during the playback of audio or audiovisual content, translating them into the desired language. But the potential of Live Translate does not stop there, and also affects other scenarios, such as the translation of SMS, signs, or text elements framed by the camera, and can even go as far as acting as an interpreter in real-time (the latter functionality only in English at the moment).
WHEN IT ARRIVE AND HOW MUCH IT COST
Pixel 6a will arrive in the United States on July 28, and it will be possible to pre-order it as early as July 21. The changes and improvements compared to Pixel 5a, as mentioned, are many, but the launch Google Pixel 6a price remains the same: 449 dollars. The arrival is expected during the summer, but as reported on the official website the date is still to be defined.
GOOGLE PIXEL 6A Specs
Screen : 6.1 “Full HD + OLED, 20: 9 aspect ratio, 60Hz refresh rate, HIAA center
- SoC: Google Tensor GS101
- Security: Titan M2 chip, fingerprint reader for biometric authentication under the display
- Memory : 6GB LPDDR4X RAM, 128GB of storage
- Cameras :
- Front wide: 8 MP (Sony IMX355), 84 ° FOW, fixed focus
- Rear: 12.2MP main (Sony IMX363 DP) with OIS + 12MP ultra wide angle (Sony IMX386)
- Night Sight, Face Deblur, Magic Eraser, Real Tone
- Audio: stereo, 2 microphones
- Connectivity : USB-C 3.0, 5G (mmWave on some models), Wi-Fi 6E, Dual Chain Bluetooth 5.2, NFC, eSIM, NFC, GPS L1
- Operating system: Android 12
- Battery: 4,400 mAh with 18W charging
- Dimensions : 71.8×152.16, x8.85 mm; rear camera protrusion 1.08mm
- Bezel thickness : top 4.27 mm; lateral 3,935 mm; bottom 5.71 mm
- Certification : IP67
- Price : $ 449