Complete guide for the complete removal of all types of malware, viruses or other harmful programs that can infect your computer
Today’s computer viruses are no longer what they used to be: the new viruses are more subtle and intelligent, perhaps asking for ransom to free personal files or installing silent programs that steal data or mine Bitcoin.
The viruses and malware of recent years, in fact, are not created to destroy but to earn , through blackmail or by exploiting the processing power of the victims’ PCs to perform various types of operations.
If we fear that our PC has fallen victim to new viruses, let’s not panic: with a few simple programs it is possible to remove the vast majority of new generation malware , without the need to contact a computer technician and without necessarily having to format the computer and lose all the data saved on the PC.
Types of viruses
In general, the less easy to detect malware are those that capture the user’s personal data for advertising purposes, in order to send them emails, banners or commercial proposals based on the sites visited. In the most serious cases it is malware that intends to steal passwords and login information , for example, from a bank account, eBay, Facebook or PayPal, which leverage people’s paranoia to blackmail them and take money from them.
Viruses that blackmail, on the other hand, are represented by naively downloaded programs thinking they are doing well, which instead turn out to be terrible viruses that put the user in front of an ultimatum : either you buy the program or your computer will no longer work.
In some cases the virus, disguised under the name of a program that seems normal, can prevent the task manager from starting, no longer starts the PC in safe mode and does not allow you to install anti-malware programs and real antivirus.
It is also advisable to know the differences between the various types of viruses , so as to understand well what trojans, ransomware and worms mean and how to fight them.
Remove malware from your PC: simple procedure
If you notice that you have downloaded a virus program or if you recognize one of the signs of a heavily infected computer , let’s not waste any more time and follow the procedure to remove any malware quickly , even if the antivirus had been ineffective or impossible to to boot. To make a scheme on how to remove a malware manually that is understandable and simple for everyone, we list the steps to take on the Windows PC so that you can rest assured.
- Reboot your PC in safe mode : In Windows safe mode , viruses do less damage and cannot boot properly. It is therefore advisable to start cleaning by bringing the operating system to this mode.
- Scan with Malwarebytes : The best program we can use for viruses of all kinds is Malwarebytes , which has been a benchmark for safe malware removal for years.
- Restart computer : after scanning and cleaning with Malwarebytes we restart the PC and enter normal mode. If there are no other symptoms of the infection we continue with the last point, otherwise we follow the advanced procedure (for professionals).
- Clean the system of unnecessary files : Some viruses leave traces or changes to the system that must be removed, to avoid future infections or problems. The best cleaning program for an infected PC is AdwCleaner , a cleaning tool to run to make the system truly safe.
After cleaning the system we upgrade Windows Defender to make it very safe or install a new free and powerful antivirus like Kaspersky or Bitdefender .
Remove malware from your PC: advanced procedure
If the PC is still locked or no security tool can be started due to the infection, we need to use even more powerful tools to be able to clean the computer and make it operational again. The advanced procedure is available below:
- Start your PC on a temporary basis : it is important to work on a temporary basis to avoid worse damage. Before the virus blocks this mode, you should immediately start the safe mode before it is too late.
- Download Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool : this free tool from Kaspersky analyzes your PC in depth looking for any threats, removing them effectively and quickly. It can be downloaded from the official website .
- Use Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware Tool : another effective tool for removing the most serious threats such as ransomware and crypto-malware , the most dangerous PC viruses. It too can be downloaded from the dedicated site .
- Use Hitman Pro : the ultimate tool to launch to remove all traces of viruses and malware. Equipped with a very powerful and effective cleaning engine but it is offered free for only 30 days , so it is worthwhile to launch it only if all the previous tools have failed to eliminate the infection.
After attempting the advanced cleaning we try to restart the PC and see if any symptoms of the infection still appear and if the ransomware block is gone.
If the PC does not start what to do?
If the PC does not even start in safe mode and there is no way to start the system, the only hope to recover the full operation of the computer is to use the emergency scan CDs , ie the optical media to start on the internal DVD player or external DVD player . The best emergency disks are:
- Kaspersky Free Rescue Disk
- Convenient Rescue Disk
- ESET SysRescue
- Avira Rescue System
- Trend Micro Rescue Disk
Let’s get a blank CD or DVD, go to another perfectly functional PC and burn one of the above disc images, using burning programs ; alternatively we can also create the emergency disk with a USB key .
Once the disk or key has been prepared, connect them to the infected PC, change the boot order and make sure to select the optical disk or USB stick. If we have done everything correctly, the tool’s recovery environment will start and we can immediately start a scan for malware to remove.
At the end of the scan, we restart the computer to see if it starts regularly and if it no longer shows signs of infection; it may be a good idea to take advantage of it to launch the tools seen in the previous chapters, so as to remove any residues of the infection.
After removing the malware, if we notice that Windows behaves strangely, some items or menus are missing or some programs or apps cannot be accessed, we recommend that you reset Windows and return to the initial settings , taking care to save the personal data on the PC and use the cloud recovery process to immediately download the latest version of Windows during the process.
For the more experienced, it is also possible to clean up the PC by removing viruses by hand and, after removing all threats, we can always strengthen the protection of the PC by blocking access to sites with viruses and malware .